Saturday, August 11, 2012

Zion

IMG_0778IMG_0777IMG_0776IMG_0775IMG_0774

 

I love going to Zion in the Spring before it gets too hot and overran with tourists.  I really wanted you two to get out and enjoy the beautiful nature at Zion.  I knew you’d love the surroundings and riding the tram, but It seemed like each busy weekend flew by as it got warmer and warmer.  I finally decided to brave Zion alone.  Well, alone as far as adults go.  We made the trip, hopped right onto the tram and headed for Weeping Rock.  It’s a short hike and mostly shaded so that’s why I chose it.  However, I forgot it gets pretty steep!  I ended up carrying both of you the majority of the steep part which made for a pretty good workout.  We made it however and you both looked in awe as the rock stretched over itself, wielded a beautiful waterfall.  We sat in the beautiful shade and let the water splash on us until you were both bored and ready to go.  We passed a lot of older couples who made comments like “are you really here alone?” and “wow, you have your hands full”. I felt some judging my competency as a parent to choose to take you two alone.  I figure, I’d rather get exhausted and frazzled than rob you guys of the amazing opportunities that rest at our backdoor.  At the top, a big biker dude commented that I’m more man than he is.  That made me smile.  He also insisted that I take a picture because “no one will believe you did this otherwise”.  Another older man said that he really respected that I’d sacrifice my time and energy to give you guys this opportunity.  I appreciated the comments because at some points I was definitely questioning my sanity.  We enjoyed the tram ride and even saw a deer.  When the hike was all said and done we had ice cream at the Lodge that was the perfect refreshment.  At the day’s end I was popped but really glad we went. 

No comments:

Post a Comment